Friday, March 19, 2010

Summer Dress for Ingrid

I always get vintage patterns when I find a good one at the thrift store, thinking someday I will make something out of them.  I never do.  However, last night I cleaned out my fabric closet and found a pattern I wanted to try.  It's from 1976, I believe, since the lady who had it before me cut out the pattern from newspaper dated May 10, 1976. 


















I modified the dress pattern and used the front bodice piece as the back, too, instead of the two pieces they had cut out.  I couldn't figure out how to sew them together and as it turns out, it didn't matter at all.  I lined the toile-ish fabric with purple gingham and man, it turned out so cute!  The skirt part is huge and circular, perfect for a little girl that likes to twirl around! 



































I'm looking forward to making tons of these for the summer, it was really so much easier than I thought it would be.  I just can't seem to follow pattern directions, that's my problem.  So I cut out pieces and sewed them together how I thought they should go.  Next time I'll switch the side the button holes are on--that's right!!  I did buttonholes for the first time!  But I will have to work on the placement of buttons because it looks kind of funny.  Overall, though, I am quite pleased with how it turned out.  So's Ingrid!

1 comment:

heather said...

i love it! i am the same way with patterns i alter them all the time because i never understand them. i just use the pieces as a guide