Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nerdy Chemistry Picnic

Yesterday we met Brendan in Ann Arbor for the University of Michigan Chemistry Department Picnic. They have it every year to welcome new graduate students, with burgers, hot dogs, chips, beer, soda, etc. It was so much fun! Ingrid had a good time running around the big field and eating chips, and everyone kept exclaiming over her pigtails, which had gotten kind of wonky after she fell asleep in the car on the way there.

It was so funny because they had a desert contest which was obviously chemistry themed. These were my two favorite entries:


Someone went to a LOT of trouble to make those!!

It was a very Ann Arbor evening, as there were four of us with kids sitting near each other. Ingrid got into the diaper bag and pulled out her diaper, and all the moms were like "oh, is that a FuzziBunz??" And a conversation about cloth diapering ensu
ed, as all of us used them! I thought that was pretty cool, but it IS Ann Arbor. It's kind of the norm here to use slings and cloth diapers and be eco-friendly...

Ingrid had a good time with other babies and we got to eat outside and enjoy the last of the summer, so it was a good night all around!

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening out, and I am loving (but not in a nerdy way of course) that periodic table cake.

Anna said...

Ingrid's pigtails are super cute! I think pigtails are supposed to be a little wonky. They just don't look right on a little girl unless they are a little crooked.
I am very jealous that it is the norm to be eco-friendly where you live. Most of the time I get strange looks if I pull out a cloth diaper or my sling. I'm converting people around here, one person at a time.

MaryAnne said...

Í think those cakes are awesome - does that make me a mega nerd?

That's cool that so many people use cloth diapers in Ann Arbor - none of my local friends do and they all think I'm a nut.

I love Ingrid's pigtails - and she looks so much older with them!

Smithsholidayroad said...

I love the cakes too! what an effort on the Periodic table! WOW! glad you all had a great time :) Bron

Idyllic Youth said...

This is such a great idea. That periodic table cake was amazing.