Sunday, June 24, 2012

On the Mend

Thursday I finally had my surgery, which was supposed to happen a couple years ago.  Really, that long ago?  I am lazy.  But it's taken care of now, which is good. 

I had a throat cyst, leftover from my days of being formed in utero.  Crazy.  It kept getting infected and I ended up in the hospital a couple years ago, finally finding out what the hell it was.  Scheduled surgery only to find out I was pregnant with Otis!  And then we had a crazy time with his arrival, moving, and then when I went to reschedule, Otis ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.  Do we ever get a break around here?? 

This is what's sad about this whole hospital thing, and I've said it before, I like going to the hospital.  People take care of me there, I am not waiting on anyone else.  I get to take naps.  I get food brought to me.  I can just lay there and stare aimlessly out the window if I so desire.  And, I get drugs. 

Thursday morning Brendan dropped me off at the hospital and I was shown to my room--holy cow, if it weren't for the surgery part I could've been on vacation.  The hospital overlooks Lake Michigan and it was a beautiful sunny day, so I had a great view of the sparkling lake.  It was gorgeous.  Then I went in the OR, heard the anesthesiologist say "I just gave you some of the medicine," and then I don't remember a darn thing until I woke up back in my room. 

It really didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but man, general anesthesia is crazy.  I couldn't do anything all day, I felt sick, couldn't drink even water, I was so out of it!  Brendan took the kids in to visit and I swear, I have no idea what they even said, I was just loopy on morphine!  I do remember Otis just staring at me warily.

I got a nice peaceful night full of morphine and ice water and was discharged the next day.  I came home to pass out and sleep all day.  Somewhere out there I heard the noises of kids and daddy, but that's very vague.  Now it's a couple days later and I am starting to feel okay.  I'm not in much pain, it just itches where I have a bandage.  I can swallow better now and even ate solid foods.  Did you know Jello is not that much fun to eat as an adult?  As a kid it's the best, but hmmm, my palate must have matured over the years. 

Tomorrow it's back to normal.  I think I can handle it.  Now, to stay away from the hospital the rest of the year!!  No more sickness!!

1 comment:

Jami said...

Wow it's crazy how long it's been since you found out about the cyst! Glad to hear you're done with that!