Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Party, and the Hospital.

I posted more pictures of the party here on my Applesauce Crafts blog.  Feel free to check them out.  The party was a hit, I think it looked cute, Otis had fun and got some really cute books for presents :)  We got a music/play table for him and he loves it. 

But, to overshadow a party, Otis ended up in the hospital a couple days ago with pneumonia.  Boo!  I took him to the doctor Tuesday morning because he was having a hard time breathing.  They sent us home with a nebulizer but he didn't get any better and was really laboring to breathe.  So we went to the ER and were admitted right away.

That poor little guy, he has had such a rough start to the world.  To think of how much he's been in the hospital in a year just breaks my heart.  He was put on oxygen, had an iv of fluids and antibiotics, has a monitor to check his pulse ox.  It was all so reminiscent of the NICU and all the wires hanging from him.  He really was conked out and didn't do much but lay on me all through the first night.  He had to get suctioned, which is horrible to watch.  And horrible to hear him scream and watch his little legs flail around as he fights the nurse holding him.  I hate it.

Yesterday he did better.  Brendan was with him all day so I could come home and shower and sleep.  Funny, but being in a hard rocking chair with a wheezy kid laying on you and nurses and doctors coming in every twenty minutes does not make for a restful night of slumber...He was up playing and flirting with all the ladies yesterday, though, so he seems to be on the mend.  He got his oxygen down to almost nothing, and when I left this morning he was on room air, yay!  They'd unhooked his IV but he has to go back on more fluids because he's not eating.  He is getting steroids and nebulizer treatments and an inhaler every three or four hours, so his airways are opening and he's coughing up some lung junk. 

It is so hard to see your child this way.  I absolutely hate thinking of him being sick.  But what really got me was bringing Ingrid to see him yesterday and she was so nonchalant about it, it didn't scare her at all, she was so used to it.  Gah!  She got so used to being in the hospital with me being there and then visiting Otis in the NICU.  I think that's enough hospital time for us, except my upcoming throat surgery.  Then 2012 is going to be hospital free!!


becky v said...

OMG!!! Poor Otis! I can't imagine how horrible it was to see him in the hospital again. I hope he is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

i hope he's home tomorrow. the poor baby!!!!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Amber I have been thinking of you so much. I can relate to all those fears xx big hugs to you and Otis xx stay strong

MaryAnne said...

Poor Otis - and poor mama!!!

He is so adorable, and I love his crown!

I hope you all stay healthy for the rest of this year - and in 2012!