Sunday, November 28, 2010

Change of Plans

Well, Otis is causing more ruckus...I woke up at 2am leaking.  TMI, sorry, but I was!  I waited to see if it really was my water breaking and sure enough, I soaked myself again.  The midwives told me to come right in, so at 2:30am we dragged Ingrid out of bed and brought her with us to the hospital.  She and Brendan only stayed for a bit, then went home until my mom could make it over to take over wee one duty. 

I'm exactly 31 weeks today, so it's not horrible but they'd like him to stay in for three more weeks.  Three weeks of me being on bedrest in the hospital.  Three weeks of me sitting around a hospital room with a view of a brick wall, no joke.  Three weeks of NOT SEWING!  I don't want Otis to be too early, but I also would not like to spend three weeks here.

I'm hooked up to monitors and he's doing fine, heart rate is good, they gave me meds to calm down the contractions.  It's wait and see.  My whole life is wait and see.  Like once he's born he's going in the NICU and we'll wait and see how he does.  He'll have to stay for awhile, and in the meantime Brendan's going to hear about job offers.  So we'll be planning a move, dealing with a preemie, and a 2 1/2 yr old.  Sounds fun, right?? 

Keep us in your thoughts, we'll be here. 

10 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh Amber - what a nightmare, although he sounds like a typical boy right from the start!
Hang in their Otis and Mom.
And could you not be doing some hand sewing whilst in bed? Surely there is something you can do.
Anyway lots and lots of positive vibes from Switzerland.

Chari said...

Oh my goodness Amber!! I'm praying really hard for you guys right now!!

MaryAnne said...

Oh wow. So Otis wants to make sure he gets some presents for Christmas THIS year?

Thinking of you...

nocton4 said...

love and care to you and your babe Otis xx

ringmaster said...

thinking about you guys!

Anna said...

Sending lots of prayers!

mom said...

OMG! How scary! And how awful to not know what comes next! Is it more like a small leak that just keeps coming or a full on pop!

There was this crazy thread on mothering.com right when I was pregnant with Kaius about this family who's water broke around the same time as you and they carried the baby to over 40 weeks. I think they were planning a homebirth? Or maybe they were wanting unassisted? Anyway, I remember they just made sure to have no sex, no baths, no vaginal checks, nothing entering the vagina to limit the risk of infection. Since your water will continue to replenish itself, they just dealt with constant leakage for the next ridiculous number of weeks with off and on contractions until birthing naturally somewhere after 40 weeks I think. It was an incredible thread...maybe I can go back and dig it up for you...

Have they tested his lung development? Given you steroids to help speed up their development?

I will certainly be keeping you both in my thoughts! Happy thoughts ONLY! Keep that baby inside for just a few more weeks!!

The Mama Beth said...

Oh goodness Amber! I'll be thinking of you guys. Do you knit? I can scan in some patterns from my knitting books for you if you need something to do.

sunnymama said...

Wow that sounds tough for you all. Glad baby is doing fine though.

Sorry I haven't been by for such a long time. I've been on an extended blogging break (just posting a few pictures on my blog but haven't been keeping up with blog visiting) but am hoping to reconnect with all my blogging friends by the end of the year. Sounds like a lot has been happening here and I shall be calling back again soon to catch up more, but in the meantime you will be in my thoughts.

Best wishes :)

Woolly Wanderer said...

I often check in on you via carried family blog. So sorry to read your latest news will keep you in prayers that all goes according to plan.

I did bed rest due to pre-eclampsia with twins, our first born, it's hard I know but you'll soon get to the end of it. Try and view it as much needed mama rest before the little one appears!!

Cyber Hugs San xx