Thursday, December 3, 2009

Messy Messy Morning

Today we had a yelly kind of morning.  Ingrid was up from 11pm-1am unable to sleep either in her bed or ours, so I layed down with her kicking me in the stomach for two hours, just begging her to stop talking about the cats and just go to sleep.  She slept from 1-6am, then was up chatting again.  So, up we got, to make coffee and waffles.  But instead of being happy to be up, Ingrid decided to cry and whine for the first twenty minutes of the morning.  Which brought me to my yelly mommy spot.  I don't know why she doesn't understand that if she doesn't let me sleep she HAS to let me get my coffee...

It was just irritating that I was up with her while Brendan slept on the couch, then he got to sleep in, and when I went to see if he'd watch Ingrid while I showered, he was ready to jump in the shower.  Why is it he doesn't have to ask me to take a shower but I have to ask him??  (Love you, honey, but you drive me nuts sometimes!)  Anyway, all this made for a crabby, yelly kind of morning.  And I decided I didn't want it to be that way.  I don't have a car today so we're stuck here and Ingrid has been watching a lot of TV lately, which I'm not totally happy with.  I want today to be happy and filled with fun, not a crabby mama and a whiny kid.

Fiona had this post awhile ago and I loved the idea.  We only have tile in our kitchen so that is where we set up the bowl of rice and lentils.  I gave Ingrid a wooden spoon and some measuring cups and she went to town.  She immediately began tossing the rice around and giggling, so I knew it was going to be a fun activity for her!  Our kitchen is tiny and I managed to make two quiches and four mini pumpkin breads all while Ingrid threw rice and lentils all over the floor--even rolling out homemade crusts! 






















































This kept Ingrid busy for almost an hour, long enough for me to get what I wanted done in the kitchen and time to clean up.  And I am happy and not yelling and now it's naptime and I'm ready to go back to bed. 

3 comments:

sunnymama said...

I completely agree that if not sleep then at least coffee is definitely needed. ;)
Oh my! Ingrid did have a lot of fun with the rice and lentils. :)

maryanne said...

What a great way to transform a yelly morning!

Fiona said...

Well done on transforming your morning, and being brave enough to do the bean box! The mess pics are fantastic - go Ingrid.
And as for the 'yelling mama' it must be something in the air right now. Our yelling day was yesterday, but today was a good one, so hopefully tomorrow will be better in your house too.