Friday, December 4, 2009

I am Such a Copycat!

Another day, and another activity I snagged from Fiona.  I love that Ingrid likes to color, but those damn crayons get EVERYWHERE!!  I'm constantly picking them up, piece by piece since I step on them and break them all the time.  So, when I saw Fiona's post on melting broken bits together to make big crazy crayons, I knew we'd eventually try it.  Today was that day!

First we peeled the crayons, which is harder than it sounds.  My hand cramped up quite a bit, but we managed to get them all peeled. 

Then of course Ingrid dumped all the wrappers and rolled in them.  They stuck to the drool on her chin...















Then we broke the crayons into pieces small enough for the muffin tins.  We lined the tins, put the colors in, and put them in the oven. 















I did 225 degrees for about 15 minutes.  We took them out just before Ingrid's nap and by the time she woke up they were cooled and ready to use.




















Ingrid thought they were pretty cool!  They are huge and make cool multi-colored squiggles.  And an added bonus for me:  there are only eight of them to find!  For now, I'm sure they will break and then I'll be right back to square one...But for now, eight huge crayons are much easier to keep track of than 24 little ones.

3 comments:

ringmaster said...

i love making these! i use the candy melt molds to make different shapes...but you have to make sure the wax is a little cooled so it doesn't melt the mold

Carly said...

Cute Idea !

sunnymama said...

They worked really well! I've been wanting to have a go at making some but haven't got round to it yet.