Wednesday, August 18, 2010

An Update

Things are going well around here.  Ingrid and I have gotten back into a nice rhythm again, having fun together and getting along instead of me yelling and her throwing tantrums.  They're still there, but much much less than in the past couple months!  Our days are so nice and mellow, I honestly feel so lucky to have this be my life.  We get up and eat a little here and there all morning, lounge in our pjs and color, play with play dough, play with her Fisher Price guys.  We get dressed and go to the park or to the store, we go to the library, we play some more. 

Naps are a thing of the past, I don't even try to have her rest anymore.  She just wouldn't do it, and instead of fighting her and getting pissed off every afternoon, I just put her in the rocking chair with her blanket and let her watch TV while I pass out on the couch.  And I refuse to feel guilty about it.  There is a part of me that wishes we were a family with no TV, or even watching less, but we are not that family.  We all like to just sit and veg sometimes.  And sometimes we don't.  We all like to read and learn things, too, so I'm not going to feel bad about the time we do spend watching TV.

I had my 16 week midwife appointment and am loving the office I go to.  We've met with three different midwives so far and I like each one.  The visits are so short and they are so not worried about anything that it puts me at ease.  I don't have to give a urine sample at each visit like I did at my last doctor, and they never ever question me if I decide against a test.  I hate when I have made a decision not to do something and the doctor questions me why.  Just coz, 'kay??  It's really nice to just go in and listen to a heartbeat and have them measure my uterus.  Even after the bleeding scare at 11 weeks they aren't too concerned, which is nice.  I don't want to be made to feel like I have to put my life on hold because I'm pregnant, or like I have to worry about every little thing.  It's awesome because I remember the doctor last time always saying be sure to stay away from XYZ, it's bad for you while you're pregnant.  Making me feel like if I ate a tunafish sandwich I'd be harming my baby beyond belief.  This time around it's "don't eat a pound of salami in one sitting and you should be okay."

We have our next ultrasound in two weeks, at which we hope to find out the gender.  We did with Ingrid and I loved it.  She was Ingrid within a week of finding out it was a girl.  When she was born we welcomed her into our lives but we already knew her, does that make sense?  We have a boy name picked out--Otis, after my greatgrandpa (really we just liked the name and then my mom told me it was my GG's and I thought oh, cool!)  But just like last time we have NO girl names!!  Any suggestions?  I'm not fretting too much now, as we may not even need one (something is making me think this is a boy.)  But any suggestions to go with Ingrid would be appreciated!

So there's that.  Life is good and simple and lovely around these parts.  As it should be.

4 comments:

Carly said...

Glad to Hear everything is going well. I am on moderated Bed rest, that means I have to take it easy all day long. So we have been watching more T.V. then I would like to,but I have to keep this Baby in a few more weeks. I love the Name Otis it is super cute:)

Anonymous said...

love the name otis!

girl name: frida!

i gave up trying to force truman to nap at age 3.5 for the same reasons! i am of the belief that a little PBS kids is FINE for kids after age 2 but both my kids were not strangers to TV before that age! truman actually learns a lot from PBS kids! now at age 4, he's napping again! so you never know! i think he mostly likes the one on one time with me when i get harry down in the afternoon. we lay in bed and read and he usually crashes.

i think you're having a boy too which means that you're having a girl because i am always wrong with gender prediction! always!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

LOVE Otis too :)

Dottie said...

Otis is a brilliant name! And yay for getting through your first trimester so smoothly.

I totally understand the need to find out the sex! Hee hee! I'm that way too! We did the same thing with the Peach. Had her name ready to go and we totally knew her as soon as she got out.