Monday, October 8, 2012

Quick and Easy Breakfast

Now that Ingrid is in school and we have to be out the door at 7:30am, breakfast has become something of a hassle.  I want to feed Ingrid a healthy breakfast, but it has to be quick, as she isn't ready to eat until about fifteen minutes before we leave.  Try as I might, she just isn't interested in food until 7am, no matter what time she gets up.  So, off to pinterest I went, looking for breakfast ideas.  I found some good ones, and this weekend I made a couple.

The first were these amazing Blueberry Coconut Pecan Breakfast Cookies

I did have to go to the store to get a couple ingredients, but I will for sure make these again, so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.  Most of the stuff I had on hand. 

1.5 c oats
1 c coconut flakes
1 Tbs flaxmeal
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c chopped pecans
1/2 c dried blueberries (we used blueberry craisins)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c warmed coconut oil
1 Tbs agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla



All that mixed up together made a mushy batter that I patted into heart shaped cookie cutters, placed on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 25min. and you get a whole lot of healthy cookies that are perfect for a quick breakfast!  Ingrid is unsure how she feels about them.  She loved the idea of having a cookie for breakfast but then didn't really eat too much of it.  I, however, crammed about five in my mouth!  I love these!

The other recipe I tried was Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars.  These are super easy and have ingredients I pretty much always have on hand. 
1.5 c oats
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter

Mix dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients.  Mush banana and pb go in at the end.  Spread in a greased 8x8 pan and cook at 350 for 20 minutes.  We just made these today and they are so good!  Just a hint of banana and peanut butter, neither one really jumps out as too strong, which can sometimes be the case.  They are a bit mushy, we couldn't really eat these as bars we could hold, we had to use forks, perhaps I didn't bake them long enough?  But they tasted really good and were a hit with both kids!

There are a couple more I want to try, but for now these two are good to have on hand!  They definitely make me feel better giving this to Ingrid before school rather than a frozen waffle, which is what she usually asks for.  Do you have any favorite breakfast ideas that are quick and kid friendly?

1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

I need to try these! Quicker breakfasts would definitely help our morning routine.

Love your header - not sure how new it is, but I just noticed it!