Friday, May 17, 2013


Monday morning, bright and early, I went in for my throat surgery.  Brendan's dad came over to watch the kids and we left for the hospital.  I am a funny one, but I like hospitals.  I have spent a bit of time in them, and contrary to making me loathe them, I find them to be like a second home.  Something about the beds, the soft noises all around, the beeping, the nurses gentle voices.  I don't know, I feel calm there.  Probably because I have absolutely no responsibilities when I'm there.  No one is demanding anything from me.  They are, in fact, offering me a warm blanket or a glass of ice water.  They say things like "would you like more pain medicine?" and "there, there, take a little rest!" 
When I was handed my gown I found they have gone hi-tech.  The gowns are paper, purple, and have little vents in them to which a hose attaches.  It blows in hot air to keep you warm.  It also puffs up from the air so they kind of look like those Sumo suits.  I felt pretty sexy.
Things went smoothly this time, my IV only took one time!  Usually I have to be poked and prodded a few times before an IV takes, but this time only one.  I think it was because my nurse had purple hair, which Ingrid would tell you obviously means good luck.  Last time I got pretty sick from the anesthesia, so this time they made sure to give me the good stuff that wouldn't make me sick.  Thank you, anesthesiologist!  That was the one thing I was dreading, waking up to feeling pukey. 
I woke up in the recovery room and felt fine.  Drugged up but overall pretty okay.  They brought me to my room, Brendan came up to meet me, I dozed in and out and then when I fully woke up it was time to go home!  Check out this view from my room!  It was gorgeous!
I got home to find Otis sleeping in my room, so I went and crashed by him.  I pretty much slept all day and night, popped some pain pills, drank some water, and that was it.  I am SO hoping this is the end of my throat woes.  I don't mind hospitals, but I sure do mind the ridiculous bills that come with them!!
The rest of the week has been great.  Sunny weather, friends helping out with the kids, and now my mom is coming today to help with the purple unicorn party!  Woohoo!   


Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

After Sofia was born I wanted to STAY in the hospital, order room service and just rest and surf the web on wifi. I was on vacation with some minor crotch pain, totally worth it ;)

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Yay for the IV and anesthesia going better this time round!

Mike doesn't get why I always stay the max time in the hospital after having a baby. It's the best rest a mama can get! Too bad there is also pain and recuperation involved...

Can't wait to see pics of your purple unicorn party!